EASLEY – Residents of the Brookdale Senior Living facility were evacuated on Monday after a fire broke out in the facility’s laundry room.
According to Assistant Fire Chief J. Scott McClain of the Easley Fire Department, the facility, located at 125 Zion School Road, just off Route 8, caught fire just before 3 p.m. Feb. 1, setting off the building’s alarm and sprinkler systems.
Members of the Brookdale staff, Pickens County Emergency operations Center and Rescue 8 assisted with getting the residents to safety. Pickens County Emergency Medical Services also responded to the scene as a precautionary measure but no injuries were reported.
McClain stated that while the fire itself was contained to the laundry room, smoke and water damage affected other areas of the building.
“The fire was extinguished in a short period of time, with additional time spent performing salvage and overhaul operations,” McClain said.
EFD also stated that Easley Combined Utilities responded to assist with water issues along with the City of Easley Building Official’s Office to check the building for damages. DHEC was notified of the incident.
Two pumper trucks, a platform truck and several support units responded to the fire which was extinguished “in a short period of time.”
Reach Kasie Strickland at 864-855-0355.